Crowns are used to completely restore teeth that have become damaged through decay, chips, discolouration or large fillings. These custom-made porcelain restorations fit over the tooth, transforming the full appearance. We can also use crowns to replace missing teeth, either as part of a bridge or fixed onto a dental implant.
- Transforms and enhances the appearance of a tooth.
- Fixed in place.
- Confidence boosting.
- To allow for enough room for the crown, we remove a layer of the tooth structure, but make sure we leave a strong core. The amount of tooth removed depends on the thickness of the crown, which can differ depending on the material used to make it.
- We then take impressions of your teeth and record their colour so the crown can be made to fit perfectly.
- Between appointments, we protect the prepared tooth with a temporary crown.
- When your crown is ready, the temporary crown is removed and the new permanent one fixed in place with a strong dental cement.
The best way to care for your crown is to stay on top of your oral hygiene just as you would for your natural teeth. You also need to see your dentist regularly for check-ups so they can keep an eye on your crown and the tooth underneath.
A crown protects a tooth from decay, but not where it meets the gum, and it does not guard against gum disease, so it’s important to keep the area clean and free from bacteria.